Here are narratives of interests, perspectives and lived experiences. The essence of my human existence. the impact of motherhood, relationships, being Jamaican, being American, everything and anything- a potpourri of life.
Search This Blog
Social Media and the Potential for Peaceful Protest and Positive Change in Jamaica
First I followed a Facebook friend and liked a Facebook page called JPS Bills Are Too High! Then I updated my status to the statement above. As a thinking person it did not take long for my thoughts to start drifting and I realize that like many other places, this social media ‘craze’ is infiltrating and has great potential to make a positive difference in my small country. I started recognizing this last year, during the Tivoli/Dudus incident when a grassroots news agent in Jamaica created a Facebook page relying on its members as citizen reporters who would tell the news as they see it happening. The Facebook page of this news agent exploded as people joined and reported. That was powerful. It was not long before discussion groups, Facebook pages and twitter accounts became devoted to campaigning for a better Jamaica and people from within Jamaica and the Diaspora were responding to the campaigns.
IN THE WORDS OF MY MOTHER: Lucille Lee, J.P., Maggotty, St. Elizabeth:“The high cost of energy has been a crippling factor for many businesses and must be addressed with a great sense of urgency…” Source: “Wish List For Chris Tufton”-Jamaica Gleaner, July 21, 2011
Today, there is a social media drive that Jamaicans should wear something black to protest against the rising cost of electricity bills and the stronghold that the utility company the Jamaica Public Service (JPS) has over the pockets of the Jamaican people. I know that when I lived in Jamaica people were complaining about their electricity bill but I wonder if this latest campaign will be different. Are people’s pockets finally “bussing” at the seams? Has the monopolistic hubris and total disregard for people’s pain displayed by the JPS finally gotten unbearable? Is the social media just an easy place to throw out an idea and see how it flies through cyberspace? Or are Jamaicans ready and willing to protest in non-traditional, albeit, non-violent ways?
Lately, there has been some evidence that people are logging on, looking in and becoming citizen activists for a better Jamaica. The media and social media in particular has the indelible power to take an idea or a campaign and broadcast it globally to effect immediate change or at least call attention to a problem. Most recently, a humble fellow in the countryside of St. Thomas, with a strange “twang” was able to call attention to the demise of his community when it rains heavily, the river “come dung” and “nobaddy canna crass it” because there is no bridge. I believe the latest report I heard is that the community may soon have a bridge.
So who knows what will happen today dubbed “black out Friday” the protest against the Jamaica Public Service? I admire this campaign; my only concern about it is whether it was a great idea to ask people to wear black on a hot day in a tropical country? I know that many who may join in this campaign and wear black may work in cool AC fed offices, but what happens if the JPS cut off the light and you have no fan and no AC who suffers then? I think that would be the person dressed in the piece of black clothing. Good Luck, my people!
UPDATED: October 24, 2015- My Testimony Last year I decided that for my 40 something birthday I would gift myself a mammogram. It was my first time and it was an uncomfortable experience. A couple of days after the screening I received a call from the Dr., she told me that there was a small spot on my breast that they will need to a second mammogram to determine what it could be. She assured me that it could be nothing and I should not panic. Well, I was concerned and decided that for the next 7 days to the 2nd appointment I would take a shot glass full of the Guinea hen weed (GHW) that I have been soaking in a corner for a few months. My mother had set the bottle up for me but I never really paid it much attention. I knew what people said GHW was good for and if there was ever a time to "test" it that time was now. After a week of GHW consumption I returned to the clinic for my follow up appointment. Needless to say, the results came back clean. I know there were many p...
My love affair with hot peppers is no secret. I have written about it and I have been subject to many "cuss off" because I use too much when I cook. Recently, we acquired the Chocolate Scotch Bonnet plant and the tree has been bearing out of control. Below is my mostly unedited video on how to quickly use excess hot peppers. Below is my original blog post about my lover. ENJOY and your comments are welcome. UPDATE: I now have a chocolate habanero plant and I must admit that it is very very HOT! NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP! Originally Posted: May 2, 2011 My recent Lenten sacrifice had me thinking about the things that I would and would not give up for any period of time. I mentioned chocolate in my previous post, the other would be hot peppers, raw, not processed, just sliced and devoured. At least 1-2 fruits a day, on everything. Yes, I love my peppers and Scotch Bonnets are my favorites. We had one plant that perished in the cold spell, so for a few...
After watching last night's performance with American Idol competitor Castro, I was upset! Castro in my eyes made a mockery of the Bob Marley song "I shot the Sheriff" and worst laugh rudely after his performance when Judge Randi pinpointed his faults. I think Castro was trying to get himself kicked off, because he could not have actually practiced that. His voice was drowned by the disoriented sounds of what was suppose to be acoustics. It was a pain! I would like to hear another Bob Marley on the Idol stage, but not from imitations like Castro. I think one of the girls can maybe do a "no woman no cry" or "turn your lights down low" in future Idols. SUBMITTED BY: Shalane Lee (Guest Blogger) SEE CASTRO'S PERFORMANCE BELOW. YOUR COMMENTS ARE VALUED. jason castro I shot the sheriff - Google Video COMPARE TO THE ORIGINAL COURTESY OF: YouTube. All Rights Reserved. Use of original information without the autho...
This blog is not here to diagnose a medical condition, or replace your health care provider. However, I hope to inspire you to become healthier, more self sufficient, and more aware of alternative options to your healthcare. I have provided my own and the testimonies of others as to how different products or procedures have worked from them. This is all a part of information gathering not hard and fast recommendations.I hope to aid you in your own personal research and study and I have provided research links for your further study into any topic. Nothing I say has been evaluated by the FDA, I am a Ph.D. but not a medical doctor, so naturally I do not prescribe medications or recommend for anyone to stop taking medications without first consulting with their Doctor. ALWAYS CONSULT your personal PHYSICIAN. You have a choice to use what I share is at your own risk.I will never share any product or information that we don’t fully endorse, its simple, if I love something I will share it. I am not paid to do so. Please enjoy my blog, share it and follow. There are some good things on here.
Comments