Skip to main content

What to do with all those HOT Peppers!

My love affair with hot peppers is no secret. I have written about it and I have been subject to many "cuss off" because I use too much when I cook. Recently, we acquired the Chocolate Scotch Bonnet plant and the tree has been bearing out of control. Below is my mostly unedited video on how to quickly use excess hot peppers. Below is my original blog post about my lover. ENJOY and your comments are welcome.


UPDATE: I now have a chocolate habanero plant and I must admit that it is very very HOT!

NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP!
Originally Posted: May 2, 2011

My recent Lenten sacrifice had me thinking about the things that I would and would not give up for any period of time. I mentioned chocolate in my previous post, the other would be hot peppers, raw, not processed, just sliced and devoured. At least 1-2 fruits a day, on everything. Yes, I love my peppers and Scotch Bonnets are my favorites.

We had one plant that perished in the cold spell, so for a few months we have been searching.A few days ago, the hubster (HB) called me excited "I found a scotch bonnet plant, the person says I must come and get it now because it is the last one he has left". Knowing HB he must get that last one, and he did. He arrived home holding it up like a trophy he had just won. Proud and happy. Eager to plant. While we were picking the fruit we noticed the nursery label, a place not far away, I googled, emailed and called and they had 11 plants "we must get 5" the hubster said, and as it is said, so it was done. We have 5 beautiful plants.
One may say my relationship with peppers is genetic, from my East Indian heritage. At 14 a Doctor told me I would have to stop eating peppers because I had developed a peptic ulcer. Looking back now I think that was the reason I did not do well in the CXCs, I was miserable :-). I don't know where the ulcer went but as soon as I felt better the peppers were back with a vengeance. I never could give it up.

The photos are of the Scotch Bonnet plants and fruits. Many people use the names Scotch Bonnet and Habanero interchangeably but a "pepper officianado" like me know that the SB is shorter, wider, hotter and has a lingering, almost sweet and aromatic flavor. Having the real thing is worth so much to me.

Thanks HB, that will do for Mother's Day!! By the way if anyone reading this would like to send me a ghost pepper plant aka Bhut Jolokia. You are welcome to.



FACTS ABOUT THE SCOTCH BONNET PEPPER

Comments

Anonymous said…
This fall I harvested hundreds of bhut jolokia peppers from my three, four foot high plants. The seeds were started in January. This time it will be the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (hottest as of 2012) I love the bhuts. Dried and ground, I sprinkle it on everything. I even dusted a vanilla ice cream cone at home, sort of "fire and ice" if you get my drift.
I found your great blog by searching for how to make bitter lemon tea.

Popular posts from this blog

Traditional Jamaican Medicines- The Guinea-Hen Weed

UPDATED: October 24, 2015-  My Testimony  Last year I decided that for my 40 something birthday I would gift myself a mammogram. It was my first time and it was an uncomfortable experience. A couple of days after the screening I received a call from the Dr., she told me that there was a small spot on my breast that they will need to a second mammogram to determine what it could be. She assured me that it could be nothing and I should not panic. Well, I was concerned and decided that for the next 7 days to the 2nd appointment I would take a shot glass full of the Guinea hen weed (GHW) that I have been soaking in a corner for a few months. My mother had set the bottle up for me but I never really paid it much attention. I knew what people said GHW was good for and if there was ever a time to "test" it that time was now. After a week of GHW consumption I returned to the clinic for my follow up appointment. Needless to say, the results came back clean. I know there were many p...

POPULAR CULTURE: American Idol- Was this a joke?

After watching last night's performance with American Idol competitor Castro, I was upset!  Castro in my eyes made a mockery of the Bob Marley song "I shot the Sheriff" and worst laugh rudely after his performance when Judge Randi pinpointed his faults. I think Castro was trying to get himself kicked off, because he could not have actually practiced that.  His voice was drowned by the disoriented sounds of what was suppose to be acoustics.  It was a pain!  I would like to hear another Bob Marley on the Idol stage, but not from imitations like Castro.  I think one of the girls can maybe do a "no woman no cry" or "turn your lights down low" in future Idols. SUBMITTED BY: Shalane Lee (Guest Blogger) SEE CASTRO'S PERFORMANCE BELOW. YOUR COMMENTS ARE VALUED. jason castro I shot the sheriff - Google Video COMPARE TO THE ORIGINAL COURTESY OF: YouTube. All Rights Reserved. Use of original information without the autho...

DISCLAIMER

This blog is not here to diagnose a medical condition, or replace your health care provider. However, I hope to inspire you to become healthier, more self sufficient, and more aware of alternative options to your healthcare. I have provided my own and the testimonies of others as to how different products or procedures have worked from them. This is all a part of information gathering not hard and fast recommendations.I hope to aid you in your own personal research and study and I have provided research links for your further study into any topic. Nothing I say has been evaluated by the FDA, I am a Ph.D. but not a medical doctor, so naturally I do not prescribe medications or recommend for anyone to stop taking medications without first consulting with their Doctor. ALWAYS CONSULT your personal PHYSICIAN. You have a choice to use what I share is at your own risk.I will never share any product or information that we don’t fully endorse, its simple, if I love something I will share it. I am not paid to do so. Please enjoy my blog, share it and follow. There are some good things on here.

Dr. C.P. Lee